I’m excited because baseball season starts today. I love Baseball, but in a lot of ways it seems like it is a game dominated by failure. The best hitters in the game only get a base hit in 3 out of 10 at bats. Awards are often given to hitters who manage to maintain a higher than a 30% average. Interestingly though batting averages are articulated in hundreds rather than percentages. A batter is said to have a 300 (three hundred) average, yet his average will clearly display as .300.
Because hitting is so hard the standard of what is normal and acceptable has settled to a sub-par standard. I’m afraid this is exactly what we do in our own Christian walks. We fail again and again and again, but we look around we see that we’ve got a higher spiritual average than most of our teammates. Soon we begin to feel so good about our 2 or 3 successes that we hardly anguish at all over our 7 or 8 failures.
If I succeed in nothing else, I pray that I succeed in always pleasing the Lord more next time than I did this time. Let's all strive to obey God's Word and increase our "spiritual averages" each and every day.



0 comments:
Post a Comment