Once upon a time I used to pride myself on my ability to name a quality Christian band that had a sound similar to popular mainstream bands. This is no longer the case. I pretty much moved away from music when I started getting sermons on CD’s and then Podcasts. I also think Christian music is somewhat cyclical and has been in a down turn for a number of years. With some exception, much of the Christian music has been bad, corny, or doctrinal trash. I still feel like this is the case for the most part, but I’m beginning to believe that good Christian music is still out there I just need to be willing to work a little harder to find it.
For years I’ve been a fan of a secular band named Sister Hazel. I enjoy their rootsy southern rock sound and vocally driven songs. I’ve recently become aware of a Christian band named Needtobreath. Their latest release, Something Beautiful, reminds me a lot of Sister Hazel. I already bought the song on iTunes, but I need to purchase another iTunes card so I can get the rest of the album (The Outsiders). They’re a quite talented group of PK’s (preachers kids).
If you aren’t familiar with them check out their site Here. Something Beautiful should play automatically. The song is about those times when your emotions aren’t feeling God like your mind knows you should. It’s a genuine cry to God to fill our desperate desire to be consumed by the beauty of our relationship with our Father and Savior.



4 comments:
I discovered Needtobreathe about 3 weeks ago, and absolutely love their sound and their songs!
Amazon is also a good place to purchase mp3s...
Oh yeah, nice plug for Amazon...
Gotta love Amazon. :]
It's probably been about a month since I finally downloaded the song. I think I like it getter every time I hear it.
"Washed By the Water" (from their album "The Heat")got a lot of air-time, but I don't care for that one quite as much.
One of these days I'll take the time to listen to their older stuff and see what I may be missing. :]
Your comment about Christian music as a genre going downhill, I think, is actually a comment on the entire industry.
There's been a massive shift in the way we're fed music. In order to find good music we have to seek it out instead of just discovering it on the radio.
Popular entertainment media has become a place for spoon fed mediocre trash that somewhat appeals to the masses.
In a lot of ways this is a good thing. But it also means more work. ;)
Post a Comment