Thursday, April 15, 2010

One Good Point

I read a book the other night that prior to reading I expected to be good for little more than use as a coaster. Turns out it was better than I expected, not much better, but better none the less. I really only took away one major reminder from the book: There are lots of hurting people out there, many of whom have suffered their wounds at the hands of people within the church.

More often than not I’m an optimist. I tend to think very critically analytically, but I like to believe in and hope for the best. Part of me refuses to accept that church is such a bad place. My first response when people bad talk the church is usually to become defensive and protective, especially when those people claim to be Christians. I need to be reminded sometimes that those accusations probably aren’t directed at the true body of believers that is The Church, but rather at intuitions that I often wouldn’t even consider "churches."

Don’t get me wrong, I'm under no illusions. I’ve endured my share of persecution from within the “church” and I realize that I’m sure to be hurt again. My goal though in going to church is always involve myself and see how I can help make church stronger and more biblical, not to merely evaluate its ability to serve me and my needs.

Anyway, the reminder was good for me and it re-adds several things to my prayer list.

0 comments:

Welcome to DoF!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More