I heard this morning that there is now a fishing ban in place on Lake Kinneret. Before you think I’ve posted this article on the wrong blog, let me add that Lake Kinneret is better known to us as The Sea of Galilee.
Earlier this year I was teaching out of the book of Mark. As I was studying Jesus’ Galilean ministry for the class, my geography curiosity got the best of me. I spent hours on Google Earth “flying around” the Sea of Galilee. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to go visit the sea now and check out the places where Jesus spent so much time. I’d also like to go out on a boat on the sea and yes, if I had the opportunity I’d probably even want to do a bit of fishing.
As I researched the ban a little deeper I found that the it is actually only a 2 year ban to allow the fish levels to replenish. There’s hope after all. I probably won’t make it over for a visit in the next two years anyway, but I even if I did get to go fishing, I can’t walk on water so it's not like I could try out all the biblical experiences anyway. I’d also prefer to avoid getting caught in any biblical type storms while out on the lake. I doubt getting to fish the sea would really add much anyway other than a cool talking point in a sermon someday.
After hearing news of the ban I’m grateful for 2 things:
1) Google Earth (and I can’t fish via GE anyway)
2) Fortunately, though the world may try, our ability to be “fishers of men” hasn’t been banned quite yet.




0 comments:
Post a Comment