Thursday, March 18, 2010

Praise You in this Storm

On Sunday at church we sang the song Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns. In light of all the hurting I’d been exposed to over the week the song was especially moving. It’s a great song musically, but when the music is combined with the lyrics the result is powerful. Like most of you I get excited and sing along whenever it comes on, but on Sunday I found myself unable to sing along. As soaked in the lyrics on the screen I was completely moved.

There I was, safe outside the storms around me, yet able to partner with so many in prayer. I was hit with what a heavy responsibility it is to be able to go to God in clear weather with clear vision and pray for those who are faced with the limited visibility of the storms. What really moved me though was the sadness of knowing the different responses of those within the storms. Giving praise to God was not the most common storm response. Instead, worry, fear, panic and hopelessness seemed to dominate.

One of my coworker’s storms ended with an ideal outcome. As a fellow believer her grateful response included the proclamation that “God is Good!” A true statement and I know what she meant, but many times I think we believe that somehow the level of God’s goodness is contingent upon how favorably we view the outcomes of our situations. God was just as good when my coworker’s son walked away from the hospital miraculously healthy as when another coworker had to leave her dying mom in Hospice’s care.

I pray that I’m fortunate enough to avoid the storms, but I also pray that when (yes, when) they do come I’ll be able to keep my sight on Jesus and not be toppled by the chaos around me. 

1 comments:

Sbyllek said...

That is a fantastic song. a few other great songs along those lines include "Bring the Rain" by Mercy Me, "Blessed Be Your Name" by the Newsboys, and that well loved hymn "It is Well With My Soul"

This is one of those lessons I continue to teach my children, making sure it is something they will hear when their little tapes go into playback mode.
When good things happen, God is good. When bad things happen God is STILL good and He has a plan and a purpose for everything that happens to us! (All the while, humanly hoping that we will never have to test the validity of these statements *sigh*)

Great post Tyler.

March 18, 2010 2:42 PM

Welcome to DoF!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More