Every year around Easter I get a craving to watch the movie Jesus of Nazareth. I’ve loved this movie since I was a child and it still has a special place for me. The problem is the movie is 6 hours and 22 minutes long. It takes up a whole day and it isn’t a movie that I can just let play without sitting down and actually watch (ie pay attention) to the whole thing. I now have the film on DVD, but for years I watched my VHS version with 3 tapes. I’ll admit that the first couple of hours drag on very slowly and I’ve been known to skip the first tape and start a little further ahead in Jesus’ story. This year however, I wanted to not cut it short and take the time to watch all 382 minutes. With less than a week to go we're over half way finished.
We’re currently studying through the book of Mark at church (and personally) and for Alethea and I the stories of Jesus public ministry have really come to life in a new way this year. Even if Robert Powell, the Actor who played Jesus, isn’t a racially accurate cast and the stories aren’t always adapted to adhere to perfect theology, it is still a powerful visual peek into Jesus time on Earth.
Many important stories from the Gospels are missing (just think how long the movie could be) and there are many deviations from biblical accuracy, but if you haven’t seen it (recently) I highly recommend you watch it sometime. My only council is that you also spend extra time reading through the book of Mark (or any of the Gospels) and make extra sure your able to pick out the fact from the fiction. Other than that - Enjoy your 6 hour and 22 minute show!



0 comments:
Post a Comment