Monday, March 8, 2010

Bible Radio

You know when you hear an old song and you’re transported back to a memory of a time gone? Sometimes the memories are welcome and wonderful: listening to a Walkman in the back of Grandpa’s Bronco, cruising around on a fall evening in the Mustang, tearing up the side of a mountain in an old truck with the window’s down and CD player blasting… Sometimes the memories hurt: playing guitar in Grandma’s hospital room, a song from a relationship gone bad, or a song that randomly happens to play every time you visit the dentist.

I often see my old NIV Bible on the bookshelf and it’s a lot like hearing an old song. That Bible and I went through a lot together; good and bad. Reading you Bible should sometimes be like listening to an old radio station. Good memories: I remember when I taught this passage at a youth camp, I heard a great sermon on these verses while visiting my sister, this verse has deepened my love for Christ in a life changing way.  And of course painful memories: this is the verse I held onto when I was in a spiritual valley, this verse caused me to reevaluate my position on a treasured false doctrine, and this passage was misrepresented and caused a loved one to walk away from the lord…

I pray that we spend so much time in Scripture that flipping through the pages of our Bibles brings the same feelings of familiarity as listening to a radio station playing all the meaningful songs from our past.

0 comments:

Welcome to DoF!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More