Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8 ESV
The other day as I was restocking our DVD shelves (after my 1 year old daughter pulled all our videos down) and I started to wonder why we even still had so many movies. We acquired most of the videos before we were married or had kids. In fact I can only think of 2 movies we’ve purchased in the last 2 years that aren’t children's films. While there really isn’t anything wrong with most of our movies, having kids has made me realize that not all of our collection is as appropriate as I may have once thought. I’m starting to wonder if we should even keep many of our movies.
If I don’t think my kids should watch them, should I be watching them?
Years ago, I came across Philippians 4:8 in my Bible reading. It challenged me to say the least. The Holy Spirit still frequently uses this verse to convict me. The discipline of our mind can be very indicative of where we are spiritually, so using Philippians 4:8, let’s do a self-evaluation and see how our routine thoughts stack up to God’s holy standard.
I’ll preface by saying that I always hesitate to try and cover a verse that starts out with the word “finally” until I’ve provided at least some brief context. For full context you’ll have to read it yourself, but Paul spent chapters 1-3 greeting, updating, exhorting, and warning the Philippians. Now as we come to 4:8, he reaches the climax; how they (and we as Christians) are to think.
Whatever is:
1) True – How do we think about what is true? In John 17:17 Jesus is praying and says, “Your word is truth.” Don’t over analyze this one. We are to read, analyze and meditate on the Word of God. It isn’t a coincidence that True is the first of the 8 listed. We need to prioritize time studying the Bible and thinking about the biblical matters.
2) Honorable – Worthy of respect, reverence, and worship. A majority of the mundane, trivial, and worldly things that most often occupy our minds won’t make the cut here. Our thoughts should focus heavenward to what is worthy of awe and adoration.
3) Just – Often translated as “Right.” We have a tendency to want to define fairness on our own terms. We can easily get caught up in how we think things should be. God’s Word outlines His eternal standards for us. We are to keep our thoughts in line with the law of God.
4) Pure – Holy, morally clean, undefiled, free from sin.
5) Lovely – Sweet, giving, gracious and patient. Does lovely best describe your thoughts toward others? Would God find your thought life to be pleasing, attractive and amiable?
6) Commendable – Highly regarded or well thought of. The content of our thoughts should be elevated and above repute. Scripture will raise the thinking of spiritually growing Christians to a higher level.
7) Excellent and Worthy of praise – The key to godly living is godly thinking.
Just because I wouldn’t want my little kids to see the Passion of Christ doesn’t necessarily make it inappropriate. There can be some subjectivity in how this verse is applied to each of us. I might be tempted to sinful thoughts watching something that is perfectly innocent for someone else. Plus, for you personally the rating or subject content of your movies might not even be an issue, but I guarantee that based on Philippians 4:8 we all have at the least some areas we need to clean up in our thought life. Romans 8:5-6 says, “For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.”
Does your music make the cut? Your reading? Your conversations? I’m not saying you need to burn all your movies, throw away your TV, and refuse to speak to non Christians, but I am saying we need to be more self critical. Some of us may need to throw away some temptations while others may just need to spend more time growing in God's Word.
Join me in asking the Holy Spirit to use this verse to convict us and help us to “take every thought captive to obey Christ.” (2 Cor 10:5) I pray that we would have transparent, God-approved, kid-friendly, productive thought lives.
His Slave to Righteousness,
- Tyler Wess



1 comments:
Great food for thought tyler. I'm gonna go look at all my movies! I caught up and read all your posts. Excellent. Keep it up. I may not comment much, but I do like to read it. Thanks for doing it.
Sharnell
Post a Comment