2 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
I frequently hear verses 2-4 quoted to people who are suffering through some sort of trial. They're great verses, but not always what I want to hear if I'm in the midst of a trial. For me the encouragement comes down in verse 12.
12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
James makes it clear that trials of various kinds will, by design, define the genuineness our faith. It makes sense really; trials, like persecution, have a purifying effect. If you're just going through the motions and things get bad you're not going to remain steadfast. Ever question your own devotion to your faith? See how you respond when times get hard. Do you turn to Jesus or for strength or do you turn your back on Him and put your faith in yourself or maybe lose faith altogether?
I not only love the promise of verse 12; I need it. I need to know that if I truly love God and my faith proves steadfast even when things are at their worst, I can anticipate receiving the crown of (eternal) life. Verse 12 comforts me in knowing that God not only allows and ordains my trials, but that eventually they will end and my faith will be rewarded.



0 comments:
Post a Comment