There’s a catchy ol’ chorus the church I grew up used to sing that repeats the line “More love, More Power, More of You in my life.” I now despise the song I used to mindlessly sing. My distain isn’t musically oriented, it’s not like it’s a John Mayer song or anything (yeah, not a fan), but my issue is with the song's doctrine. At the moment of salvation a Christian posses all of Jesus he’s ever going to get this side of heaven. We’re adopted into the kingdom and given His full love, access to full power, and He gives us all of Himself.
Before you write me off I should admit that I'm not completely dense. I do realize what the song is trying to convey, but I just feel like it's misleading. It makes it sound like God is holding back on us which is not the case. We're the ones that shut Him out and chose to withhold aspects of our lives from him, not the other way around.
Will we gain more spiritual understanding in this life? Yes, but more understanding that we already have full access to. Will he give us more love? No He's already demonstrated the greatest love for us. Will he give us more power? No, we already have the Holy Spirit who IS our power. Will He give us more of Jesus? Nope. We're not likely to get seconds during communion and we're not going to get more than ALL of Jesus in our lives either.
My desire is to let Him into more of my life though. I hope your desire is the same.



0 comments:
Post a Comment