I recently made a personal discovery: I really like fall.
For years now I’ve argued that spring is the greatest season. Spring brings the arrival of warmer weather, Baseball and Easter. What more could one want? Green Grass? Check. Sunshine and lengthening days? Check. Chocolate bunnies and Peeps? Check.
The superiority of spring has never been challenged in my mind… until recently. The other day out of nowhere, I wavered. Once again my mom and Alethea (my wife) were discussing how fall is better than spring because it “doesn’t have the cold wind that spring has.” I instinctively wanted to start into my “why spring is better list” but for some reason I didn’t. Rather than jump in battle mode I chose to ponder the dispute. As I thought about it I began to appreciate how much I actually do enjoy fall. The more I thought, the more I realized that for me, fall typically coincides with a time of spiritual rejuvenation.
When this time of year rolls around, I always seem to feel refreshed and more focused. I think it is partially because my life slows down some in the fall. Baseball season finishes, summer traveling comes to an end, the days get shorter, and I am forced to slow down a little. Beautiful weather on cool fall evenings has a calming and nostalgic effect on me. With fall inevitably comes my desire, no my need, to cut through the distractions of my busy life and refocus on what is truly important: God. Ironically enough while nature looks to be dying off and fading into winter, I see fall as a time of new beginning. Although this new beginning isn’t as defined or common as the New Year’s date on the calendar, for me fall brings a fresh start without the pressure of official resolutions.
Even if I’m alone in my theory that fall is a time for starting anew, it doesn’t matter. The realization in my own life has been enough to inspire me. The way I see it, any day is a great day to refocus and commit to draw closer to Christ. I’m excited and believe that fall is the perfect time to: pray the more, get back into church, commit (or recommit) to daily Bible reading, prioritize God ahead of distractions, and yes, even start a new blog site.
His Slave to Righteousness,
- Tyler Wess



3 comments:
I love that you love fall....and that you are willing in your old age to stop and reconsider your reasonings.....you are too funny
I love fall too..... and the RAIN I love the rain it can't come fast enough ( I guess that is why I moved to Oregon ) Well it also means that the holidays are coming and that means I get to spend more time with you and the kids YAY....
I thought about voting for winter like 50 times just to joke but then thought oh that is way to much work
XOXO
Oh yes, Fall is my favorite season too. It took me a while to decide, but I really love the colors and the way Gods creation looks in the fall(before all the leaves are on the ground). The trees and grass are just beautiful. I'm not a rain or wind lover, but I do love the cooler days( i hate to be hot). Definately Fall.
"What is Your Favorite Season?" Poll Results.
Spring - 5 (26%)
Summer - 2 (10%)
Fall - 12 (63%)
Winter - 0 (0%)
Post a Comment