“Be still and know that I am God”
- Psalm 46:10a (ESV)
Anyone who knows me knows that being “still” is not a character trait that comes naturally to me. Like most of us I am always trying to fit as much as I can into whatever free time I have. I used to carry a little card in my wallet with “Be still and know that I am God” printed over a serene picture of a little cottage on some rolling green hills somewhere. For years the card was a great, yet mostly ineffective, reminder for me to slow down.
Recently I heard this (partial) verse quoted on the radio, and after listening to the commentary about “being too busy” that followed I thought, “I wonder what the biblical context for this verse actually is?” I later went home to take a closer look at these frequently quoted 8 words out of the 11 verses that make up Psalm 46.
Is Psalm 46:10 really about turning off your TV from time to time or not neglecting to rest, even from doing good and Godly things every once in a while? In part yes, but a closer look at the whole chapter reveals more about what is behind the command.
Normally people quoting 46:10 tend to focus on “Be still” and neglect “know that I am God” so the first thing I want to point out is that chapter 46 begins and ends with promises of who God is: “God is our refuge and strength (v1),” and God is our “fortress (v11).”
1) Verses 1 and 2 reveal that our text is written for people facing “trouble” and “fear.” I get pretty busy from day to day but fortunately I wouldn’t say I have to face real trouble or fear very often.
2) Next, verses 3 and 4 contrast nature’s destructive raging floods and earthquakes, with an unmovable peaceful refreshing that the presence of God guarantees.
3) In verse 6 we find “nations that rage” and “kingdoms in totter,” but we are told that it all falls subject to “His voice.” We are to “Know that he is God” and know that even the world’s politics and our unstable economies are controlled by merely His speech.
4) Continuing on, 7-11 reveal more about who God is to us. He is a victorious God who will secure the safety of His people, even through means of war and destruction if necessary.
Psalm 46 opens speaking to an anxious people, and ends with a focus on God’s triumph. Interestingly enough Psalm 47 and 48 continue with this triumphal theme. We too live in somewhat unsettling times but here in Psalm 46 God promises believers that whether faced with pressure from nature or the nations, He is our protector and stabilizer. There is an unnatural peace that should be characteristic of God’s people. “Be still” is a call to not panic no matter what life brings our way, but to instead “know God” and turn (in stillness) to Him: the provider of our comfort , peace and security. We are to rest in His victorious sovereignty.
To this day I have my little old card. It is now well worn and although I no longer keep it in my wallet, I still expect it to be there when I go for my bank card. The card has forever etched this verse into my memory, but until recently I’ve only focused on “Be still.” Now that I better understand the “know that I am God” aspect, I have a much greater appreciation for the rich promise wrapped up in this commonly quoted (or misquoted) verse.
His Slave to Righteousness,
- Tyler Wess



5 comments:
I loved this blog.... For years Psalms 46:10 has been one of my favorite verses, maybe because I love to be still...(and do nothing)
But you have brought a whole new light to the verse, and although I kinda liked my version a little better your does make a lot more sense. Looking forward to more biblical knowledge :) Love ya
It saddened me that you never mentioned the word love, do you not believe that God is love ????
Anonymous,
Great question. Don’t be saddened. I absolutely believe that “God is love” because the Bible makes it clear that He is (among many other aspects of his divine nature) love.
I didn’t address love here because Psalm 46 doesn’t speak directly to God as love; however I would agree that the text implies that He promises to be our “victorious refuge, fortress, provider, peace and security” (see post) because He loves us: His children.
You’ll be happy to know that within the next couple of months, I plan to post a lesson that takes a deeper look at 1 Corinthians 13. I expect that many of our preconceived notions of what love is may be challenged in light of what true Biblical love really is. Be sure to keep checking back!
- Tyler
We are so grateful to be included in these discussions. This was such a great idea! You also came to a great conclusion! We agree! Heavenly Father is our Creator and Father, so wouldn't it makes sense to "know" Him? By the way, where did the "English Standard Version" of the Bible come from? How many different versions of the Bible are out there? Which of all the different versions is the most accurate? Because when reading in the King James version, a couple of the versus read differently and therefore may imply a different meaning. Such as, where you stated in verse 6 "kingdoms in totter" In the KJV it says "the kingdoms were moved". What do all the other versions say in this same chapter and verse? Do they all agree? How do we find out which of all these different versions is the most accurate and true if they read differently, even slightly? Any suggestions?
Thanks again!
Jesse and Leah
How comforting this post is to read today. We do not need to anxious, but just be still and know that God will use all things for his glory. Thanks for the post!
Post a Comment