Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Disciplines of Self

Often times I’m a list maker. I make lists for things I need to get done. Sadly I tend to feel like my lists tend to grow faster than I’m able to cross things off. Recently I was making myself a new list when I realized it was different than my usual “to do” lists. This time I found myself making a list of self disciplines. I won’t bore you with the mundane details of my shortcomings, but in looking over my list it occurred to me that discipline is something that can be hard to check off because they are ongoing. Say for example I add: eating less, exercising, spending less time on the computer, more time in prayer and more time reading the Bible to my list. How and when can I determine success or failure? Even if I track the details of all five and successfully complete them for a month, can I then check them off as completed knowing full well that the next day I might blow all five? Do I get to judge myself or should I let my wife make the ruling? I’m pretty sure that busy as I am; I still manage to waste too much time. I guess Self-Discipline is more of a process and lifestyle than a task isn’t it?

2 comments:

hey...were you copying my self-discipline list? sounds like we need a support group.

What I want to know is, how did I get dragged into this?
I can give feedback but only you, Tyler, can judge. You and God are the only ones who knows your heart and what your motives are. However I'll follow you anywhere and be standing by your side no matter what the journey or the list.

Welcome to DoF!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More