I’m a big fan of the book of Proverbs. For me it is an all-inclusive sort of book. It contains deep truths and wisdom, very practical life application, and even some verses I find hilarious. One verse I’ve found quite amusing and profound over the years is Proverbs 28:1: The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.
The casual comedian that I sometimes am, I’ve managed to create the perception that I can be a bit of a conspiracy theorist. While my comical rants are mostly joking and usually address topics like coffee shops and Yankee fans, truth be known I do sometimes fight a propensity toward paranoia. I’m sure this contributes to why I can appreciate this verse and find it so funny. Surely you’ve all been around someone like this verse describes: someone that believes it’s them against the world.
The Truths in this verse are simple: the wicked, are at the very least subconsciously aware of their guilt. Guilt often causes insecurity and can cause paranoia. Wickedness will cause people to try to distance themselves from things or people that bring their guilt and sin to light. The verse uses hyperbole to contrast the conscience of the wicked against the righteous. First we see someone who is so far gone in their sin and guilt that their minds have them fleeing from things that aren’t even there. The conscience can be a hard thing to escape. Now contrast that poor soul with the security and confidence of a believer held by God. They are “bold as a lion.” We should be fearless against any adversary possessing a forgiven conscience.
While I find the imagery of a man desperately trying to get away from something that isn’t physically there quite hilarious, I also feel a certain sadness reading this verse. How many out there need to know and trust Christ and gain the boldness only God can give? In these times of uncertainty and distrust we need to be bold in our faith. We have the answers and the peace and security that people might not even know they need.
His Slave to Righteousness,
- Tyler Wess



1 comments:
I know its been awhile since you've posted this but I want to offer up some words of encouragement. Its truly amazing how God gives you examples of how his teaching apply to every day situations. Its people like you who make note of such examples and break it down into bite size pieces for us to chew on for a while. Keep up the good work. Whatever you can do, whenever you can do it, will always be worthwhile to someone out there(on the internet). It might not be the same day you post the blog - but that's the beauty about the internet. It will always be there, waiting for someone to find your words of encouragement. Don't forget to back this stuff up. Thanks and God Bless you.
Post a Comment