Friday, February 20, 2009

Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men?


I listened to a lot of Christmas music this past December. Something that eventually stood out to me was the theme of peace on earth. We had purchased the new Casting Crowns Christmas CD (which is great by the way) and one night I really listened to the background vocals of I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day as they repeated the phrase “peace on earth, goodwill to men.” I eventually realized that “peace on earth” doesn’t sound like a scriptural concept. From my recent studies in the Bible, as well as my own personal observation, I’m confident that peace on earth isn’t going to happen anytime soon. So why then would the angels make such a proclamation at Jesus’ birth? Ultimately the itch to answer those questions got the best of me - and so my research began.

Curious at what Scripture actually said, I first grabbed my Bible and opened to Luke 2. Verses 13-14 offered some clarification: “And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” (ESV) After reviewing my other translations, I found that the phrase used in so many Christmas songs comes from the King James translation of the text. “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (KJV) As we will see, Luke 2:14 is often misunderstood and misused.

Peace here isn’t referring to peace between men, but peace between man and God. The angels wouldn’t be proclaiming God’s glory if men had made peace among themselves. They also wouldn’t be glorifying God for a peaceful world while souls are still lost. The angels are proclaiming the glory of God because Christ’s birth as our savior and messiah meant that salvation (peace) would now be possible. What is peace between man and God? Salvation. (Rom 5:1) Peace between man and God was (and I imagine still is) something for the heavenly hosts to be excited about!

The word εὐδοκία, means satisfied or pleased. Even the KJV translates it as pleased several times in other passages of Scripture. It is the same word used in Luke 3:22, where following Jesus’ baptism God says, “This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Here in Luke 2 εὐδοκία is referring to God the Father’s satisfaction as he gives peace to men according to His good will. It demonstrates the level of God’s self-satisfaction and pleasure resultant from His impartation of peace and salvation upon His chosen. I’ll explain; God was pleased with Himself because Jesus’ birth was in His plan for Christ to redeem the Church (2 Cor 5:18-19). Perhaps a good translation of Luke 2:14 would read, “peace to those whom God has chosen in accordance with His good pleasure.” The angels were overjoyed because they recognized that more than any time prior, God’s salvation plan was finally becoming evident at the birth of our savior.

Now months after Christmas, I wish I would have studied this back in November. We often forget that Christmas is about so much more than just the birth of baby Jesus. By sending His son, God set the stage for His redemptive plan, a plan that brings Him great pleasure to unfold. The angelic heavenly host knew this and as a result, declared His glory from heaven to earth.

Next year, I’ll be hearing Christmas carols with new ears. The thought of peace on earth among men may bring me a few warm fuzzy feelings, but I gain a greater love and adoration for God when I realize that it pleased and glorified Him to send His son to earth to bring salvation and peace to an undeserving sinner like me.

His Slave to Righteousness

- Tyler Wess

For Further Study

0 comments:

Welcome to DoF!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More